Off the Plan
Most of us have heard of the term “Off the Plan” when it comes to buying property and we have all been told a horror story or two about the ones that didn’t quite work out as expected for the purchaser or investor.
If you intend to buy off the plan there needs to be some very careful consideration of factors before you sign on the dotted line and at Nikal Design and Construction we are happy to offer some helpful tips to ensure any off the plan purchase whether it be Brisbane or the Gold Coast goes as smoothly as possible:
- Do your due diligence on the builder or developer, make sure they are licensed and experienced in projects of this nature and most importantly will be solvent by the time the project is completed.
- Check out any completed work the builder or developer has already done.
- Research the market for the location of the project and get an idea of potential property values not just take the developers word for it.
- If a display has been built, do an inspection and look carefully at the quality of the workmanship and finishes.
- What you see in the display in terms of structure is generally what you get so you need to ensure you will be happy with the layout of the plan.
- Make sure you are aware of what is and what is not in the contract like fixtures, fittings, floor coverings, window dressings etc.
- Determine whether you have any input into choosing the colour palette for interiors.
- Get any contracts reviewed by a solicitor before you sign no matter how good the project looks.
- Pay attention to balance of purchase price due dates and extended settlement times and it is a good idea to have your funding sorted to ensure you make deadlines so you don’t forfeit any deposits.
Design your Own
If you have an idea of what you would like in a new house or renovation but like most of us aren’t a builder yourself, you will need to seek the counsel of an expert.
Just like our helpful tips for buying off the plan, designing your own home has some things that need to be well thought out as well. Nikal Design and Construction are the experts in building custom design homes on Brisbane and the Gold Coast and offer some friendly advice to assist you:
- Have a good idea of what you would like in your new home in terms of bedrooms, living areas, kitchen space, entertainment areas etc .
- If you have a drawing of some ideas ensure your builder is open to your ideas after all it is your home and you want to stamp your personality on it with certain features.
- Source a reputable and licensed builder who has extensive building experience on Brisbane and the Gold Coast to give you a fair and transparent quote.
- Ensure your builder has customising and design capabilities to either customise an individual design for your block or work with your initial design.
- Look for a builder who prides themselves on customer satisfaction and wants to help you every step of the way in the building process to ensure any of your concerns, requests or suggestions are listened to.
- Check out any previous work the builder has done and pay particular attention to workmanship, finishes, fixtures and fittings.
- Seek reviews of their standards and practices from previous clients.
- Have any legal contracts reviewed by a legal professional to ensure peace of mind.
Nikal Design and Constructions have been building upmarket, innovative custom homes in Brisbane and the Gold Coast for over 13 years. We have all the qualifications, expertise and design experience and more to bring to fruition the design of your new home, on time and within budget and have many satisfied home owners who have experienced the specialised service and superior build capabilities of Nikal Design and Constructions. Speak with one of our friendly and knowledgeable team today and realise your dream of a customised family home or renovation.